THE FORT WAYNE NEWS-SENTINEL
CENTER'S FUTURE IN INSPECTORS' HANDS
IT MUST PASS SCRUTINY THIS WEEK TO KEEP ITS MEDICAID
FUNDING.
Tuesday, October 21, 1997
Section: FIRST SECTION
Page: 4A
SUSAN VELA OF THE NEWS-SENTINEL
An ax that has loomed over the Fort Wayne State Developmental Center since the summer finally could fall by the end of the week.
But even state officials are hoping Indiana's largest facility for those with severe and profound retardation will evade the blow and prove itself worthy of continued Medicaid funding.
If not, the center could lose millions of dollars and perhaps close its doors, leaving only one state-run facility with no immediate plans to close its doors to the developmentally disabled.
``It's obvious we want to avoid that,'' said Andrew Stoner, spokesman for the Indiana Department of Health. ``We're working diligently to see where (the 4900 St. Joe Road center is) at. A great many people are hopeful that they will achieve compliance. We'll see how it comes out.''
A group of about 10 state and federal health officials spent Monday reviewing records, talking to staff and patients and observing operations at the Fort Wayne facility - a repeat of the inspection that the center received in the summer.
They could continue their efforts through Friday to see whether the center now is in compliance with federal regulations that determine Medicaid funding.
During an annual, routine inspection in July, state health officials uncovered 193 injuries of unknown origin among the facility's 440 patients and said the center had more than 30 violations of state and federal Medicaid regulations.
Superintendent Ajit Mukherjee said the violations were because of overzealous inspectors and a high turnover of employees at the center. But those findings were the catalyst that made the clock start ticking on the center's Medicaid funding, which comprises 67 percent of the facility's annual budget of $34 million to $37 million.
By mid-August, state officials said the facility was no longer a danger to residents. Yet they noted the center only had until mid-October to meet Medicaid regulations and maintain its federal funding.
While Mukherjee is positive the center complies with state and federal regulations, he remains uncertain about this week's visit and its possible outcome.
``Let us see,'' he said. ``We have done what we're supposed to do. Let us see. We cannot talk about it until (it's) over.''
He declined further comment.
Meanwhile, if this week's inspection ends on a bad note, Medicaid funding could stop within 30 days. If the center decides to appeal such a decision, its management team will have 150 days to meet compliance standards.
The Muscatatuck State Developmental Center in Butlerville is the only state facility for the developmentally disabled that so far has stayed away from the financial chopping block. It has approximately 400 residents.
Gov. Frank O'Bannon's administration announced in July that the New Castle State Developmental Center would close next year.
The Northern Indiana State Developmental Center in South Bend also will close in 1998.
All content © 1997 Knight-Ridder and may not be republished without permission.